Campton Township’s Town Hall was built in 1874 and first served as a meeting place and school. Over the years, it has been the site for meetings of the Campton Township Board, numerous Campton Township committees, the Carriage Club, Wasco Legion, Boy Scout Troops, Girl Scout Troops, baseball teams, and many others. It also served as a polling place for primary and general elections.
In 1975, a group of Township residents requested permission to raise funds to restore the building. Through volunteers working with the township board, enough money was raised and donated to restore the building to its original condition and add a new heating unit. In November 1980, the Town Hall was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Later, the plaster ceiling was replaced with knotty pine board and crown molding, a septic system was added to support a bathroom facility, and a handicapped-accessible ramp and exit lighting brought the building up to code.
After housing the Township Supervisor’s office and administrative staff for some years, the building was again in need of repair. Through a Kane County Riverboat Fund grant, repairs were made to the foundation. Subsequently, the interior and exterior walls were repaired, and painting was completed.
The Town Hall has now been turned into a learning center about the history of the township and how township government works. Volunteers created educational exhibits that can be viewed by appointment through the Township office at 630-387-1016.
4N498 Town Hall Road
- Meeting room space
- Learning center
- Parking lot